Friday, 27 April 2012

Bride, wife, daughter

I spoke in my previous post about how I had a request from someone who is getting married soon.  She had some words that mean a lot to her and wanted to create a papercut using these words.  We worked together to get a basis for the design and we created a design that she loved.  I got curious and asked her why she had chosen these words. Her story is really quite incredible (and made me go all soft!) and she doesn't mind me sharing it here.  In her words:


"I'm getting married on 1st September and a lot of wedding stuff seems to be about the loss of the bride - my father "giving me away".... The bride traditionally leaving her name behind... The saying that it's the first day of the rest of our lives as though the past is wiped off the slate. My parents are my world and I'm really close to them both. I go to music gigs with my Daddy, share recipes with him, swap rubbish tv programmes we love, we both add weird and wonderful chili peppers to ANYTHING we cook and he's always got time for me with a problem big or small. My Mummy is extraordinary in lots of ways - she's always helping friends or doing charity work but my brother and I are always her priority. We speak every day and every Monday since I left home for university a decade ago she's sent me a card. She looks out for greeting cards or artwork I'd love and every one is topical to something going on in my life, a conversation we've had etc.  Sometimes it contains a general update, sometimes her plans for her week, sometimes it's a news snipping she thought I'd like, but it's always a reminder of her love.

I really wanted to give them something to act as a reminder that whatever else I may be, I will always always be their daughter first and foremost. With my mother's cards (I've kept them all!) I knew it could be nothing else but something made of paper. I love papercuts because the words are all individually distinct, and yet none of them can stand totally alone, the sheet of paper would just be in bits. I'm super lucky that my fiance loves my family almost as much as I do - we're actually both changing our names to have both surnames as we really see our marriage as bringing all our existing family into one big family!"



When she received the papercut her words were equally tear jerky!


"My paper cut just arrived and it is so beautiful, everything I had hoped for and so much more too. Thank you so so much, I had happy tears just opening it, can't wait to give it to my parents.

Thank you again!"

This is the final design.  Thanks so much for letting me share your story!



3 comments:

  1. Wow! What an amazing person... and a beautiful papercut too of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you like the design - great story don't you think?! I read the blog about you on All Things Paper! Great work - I love your designs too - we kind of do the same thing but so different as well.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for an incredible design- you are such a talented artist and I love the papercut more each day, I know my parents will treasure your work!

    ReplyDelete